August 12, 2012

Impromp-to applesauce muffins

Oh, when bananas go bad it is a bummer.  I dont eat them unless they are perfectly yellow with no black spots.  Well, as you may guess I don't eat a lot of bananas because they cannot all be perfect.  So I watch them sit on the counter becoming brown and wilting until it is just the right time to bake some banana bread something.

I would guess that most people do not like the soggy bananas, but I am proven wrong by my brother.  I have watched three bananas ripen this week, and no one has touched them.  Well, the day before I am planning on making some banana bread muffins one of them is gone.  I am a bit set back by this, but the remaining two are still very big.  The next night, at about 9:00 when I feel like making my muffins I set out all the flour sugar and other stuff I need, go to find my bananas and they are gone!  GONE I tell you!  So I get upset for like a minute and decide to scrap making anything this night.  After sitting on the couch I realize that I am in the mood to bake and so I must do something.

I found the banana bread recipe here.  Well without bananas I had to improvise, so here is the recipe that I came up with, and it is vegan too.

Muffin Ingredients:
1/4 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup applesauce


I mixed all the ingredients together and decided it needed something more.  So then I went nuts and added nuts.  1 cup walnut and 1cup pecans, chopped.  With half the mix they were just applesauce nut muffins.  Then with the other half of the dough I added dried cherries into it to mix it up.  The ones with just nuts are much better that the ones with dried cherries.  I think dried cherries are too tart, but I had them left over so I decided to experiment.  After these muffins are gone I plan to make another batch, this time with yogurt chips and dried cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment