December 6, 2013

Quick and Easy Oat Snack on My Day Off

It's my second day off work, and I am feeling well rested and ready to do some baking.  So I have had this recipe on my 'to do' list for months now.  And its super easy, I am not sure why it took me so long to get up and make the dang thing.  There is a lot of sugar in these, and at some point I may try to rework these, but for now I am sticking to a tried and true recipe.

I found the recipe on Happy Hour Projects.  And these are called English Flapjacks.  They are an easy oatmeal snack, not super healthy, but very tasty.  The original recipe said that it makes about 14 small cakes, but I did not want to take out two cupcake tins so I pushed all the mix into 12 cakes.  You can even make them in large muffin tins which would make less little cakes, but would give you a bigger snack.

The Recipe:
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup butter substitute
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tbs golden corn syrup

How to:
Melt brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a small pot.
When the sugar is completely dissolved add in rolled oats. 
In a greased cupcake tin, portion out oat mixture into each tin.
Bake 18 minutes at 350 degrees.
EAT!

The Result:
These are really good.  I like them because they are super quick to put together, and in no time at all I can have a fiber-ous snack that I can eat all week!  For all the sugar they have in them they are not as sweet as I expected.  They just have a touch of sweetness which makes them tasty.  Next time I think I will try to make them more like a granola bar by adding nuts and maybe dried fruit to it.  I think the addition of vanilla to the recipe would be really good too.  

You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment