September 14, 2011

My passion

The other day I went out to lunch with my grandma.  While we were sitting there her friends (a husband and wife) came up to us to say 'hi'.  It was the usual 'wow you have grown, I remember when you were this big...' Well then the husband asked what I was going to school for and I told him my master's degree.  He was curious and asked 'in what?' This question is usually a conversation ender bcause no one knows what you will do with a Master's in Public Administration.  So I say 'My Masters in Public Administration' and he looks at me and says 'Thank you.'

And so I'm like what, you actually know what that means and know what I want to be a part of...  It was a different experience having someone say thank you for me just going to school for something.  I didn't know what to say and just shook my head.    We said goodbye and then had our lunch.

I am still trying to process the 'thank you.'  I mean all I am doing is studying how government works to manage people and programs for citizens.  I will try to get work in government or a non profit, but I am years away from that.  But I do think the thank you might have been about putting new people in government.  The perception of those who work in government is awful.  There are a few bad seeds, like in any job, but the people who work are there because they believe in helping citizens, and they all do what they can to ensure it happens.

I'm glad someone thinks I will have a positive impact on the job I am seeking.  In my life no one understands why I am going into the public sector, or what exactly I will be doing when I get there.  Well I don't know exactly what I will be doing when I get there, but there are endless possibilities of what I could do, and many different ways that I could help people.

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the blog hop and now a new follower thru GFC. I would much rather have all those possibilities then none at all so go for it and just let life happen and see where it goes. Good Luck which I don't think you will need because you sound like a pretty level headed person who really wants to do good things. I would love a follow back when you get the chance. Thanks so very much and have a wonderful day!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how that response would stick with you. I noticed when I was in the classroom, some people seemed to think I was saintly. Lots of "bless you"s and high regard. However, there were the others who felt they could walk all over me. I digress though, I think anyone going into service deserves thanks. Most of the jobs don't pay as much but they serve the people. I wish more people could express gratitude for people's work.

    ReplyDelete